Be imperfectly perfect
Frequently asked questions
Microneedling is a non-invasive anti-aging treatment that naturally rejuvenates the skin through regenerative healing. Tiny needles are used to create a controlled micro-injury to the skin, stimulating the body’s natural healing response, releasing growth factors, creating new collagen and elastin!
It is used to treat dull skin, fine lines and wrinkles, large pores, uneven skin tone, sun damage, acne scars, scars, and stretch marks.
When the skin is injured a repair, process takes place to replace the damaged skin with new collagen and heal the wound. Medical needling leaves the epidermis (the upper most, ‘barrier’ layer of the skin) intact, the micro injuries caused by sterile, fine, surgical needles, triggers a complex cascade of wound healing depositing new improved collagen, elastin and hyaluronic acid (the ‘bricks and mortar’ of healthy skin structure) providing firmer and more elastic skin.
Depending on the desired results a range of needle lengths may be used and pinpoint bleeding is seen. Best results are achieved when paired with medical grade skin care products to support the skin healing process.
The benefits of microneedling include improvements in skin quality, tightens, tone, remodeling of scars, and texture.
A topical prescription strength numbing cream is applied for 20-30 minutes prior to treatment. This allows for minimal to mild discomfort.
There will be some redness; this will vary from one individual to another, from a light blush pink through to deep pink, such as sun burn. This will settle, usually significantly within hours, but sometimes taking two or three days to return to normal.
The skin may feel tight and stingy for the first few hours.
You are advised to avoid extremes of heat and cold and vigorous exercise for the first 12 hours.
Over the first 5-7 days, the skin may feel tight and dry.
Sunscreen must be applied daily.
You will be advised to use post procedure products to minimize any redness and support the skin during the process.
Results are achieved gradually over a period of months and three or more treatment sessions will be required to achieve optimum results. Results on scars are permanent, but for aging skin, maintenance treatments, one every 6 months are recommended.
All treatments carry a degree of risk. However, this is a very safe treatment, complications are rare when the aftercare advice is followed.
All risks and complications will be discussed with you at consultation and prior to any treatment being agreed.
SKINPEN is the device used at Renew Medical Aesthetics. This is the first FDA cleared microneedling device. The cartridge used contains a lock-out feature and cannot be reinstalled on the SkinPen Precision devices once removed. This safety feature ensured only a sterile single-use application. Over 90 clinical studies have been performed on the SkinPen Precision device, validating areas such as software, device shelf life reliability, ergonomic design, sound level, rotations per minute and battery charging.
There are a number of medical conditions and or medicines that may affect the decision to treat or the treatment plan. A full medical history and assessment of your expectations is necessary in advance of any decision to treat.
Treatment is not recommended:
- If you are suffering from any skin infection in or near the treatment area or are unwell in any way (even a cold).
- If you have previously experienced allergic reactions to any local anesthetic.
- If you are taking any medicines which affect bleeding, such as aspirin or warfarin.
- If you are taking steroids or have autoimmune disease.
- If you have any bleeding disorders.
- If you suffer from a poorly controlled medical condition.
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Injections on the face can trigger the cold sore virus. If you are a sufferer, you must advise me in advance of treatment.
- Some over the counter medicines and supplements can also affect bleeding (make you more prone to bruising) as can alcohol which should be avoided the day before and after treatment.
- Vigorous exercise, sun exposure, sun beds, sauna should be avoided for at least 72 hours after treatment.
- Safety has not been established for those skins susceptible to keloid scarring. If you have a history of keloid scarring, we would need to discuss this further.
A FREE consultation will be able to better assess and plan your future treatments which are customized for you and your aesthetic goals.
Renew Medical Aesthetics accepts the following payment methods:
- Most major credit cards
- Renew e-gift cards
- Care credit
Payments for all services and products are due at the time of the treatment. For package treatments, payment for the entire package is due at the time of the first scheduled treatment.